0 Likes
(@rkooy)
Member Admin
Topic starter  
20. Nov 2015 at 06:39

Misty II   Offline
I'd rather be racing!
Williamstown Vic

Misty is spending a month at RMYS in St Kilda while Royal Yacht Club of Victoria is running the Para World Championships.  RMYS has a nice new floating berth setup that requires me to set up docking lines - At RYCV we have poles forward and aft with permanent lines attached.

For a SS34 what size mooring lines should I be using and what is the best setup for mooring at a floating marina.  I have dual cleats at bow and stern and a midpont cleat at her widest point.

Would 12mm be sufficient or should we be looking at 14 or 16mm?

Paul

Topic Tags
(@rkooy)
Member Admin
Topic starter  
21. Nov 2015 at 08:02

Boomaroo   Offline
Ocean Grove Victoria

Hi Paul,
You will need a bow line, stern line and for and aft springs.
Can also add another bow and spring line to the marina arm from the other side of the boat.
Might pay to check the size with Damian the Marina Manager.
From a practical point of view, the size is governed by the strength after the rope has worn a bit.
Half inch would probably be strong enough but I have seen 3/4" chew through in less than a day during a storm at Brighton marina.
Much depends on how well faired the toe rail or the amount of protection (sleeving ).
RMYS are quite particular about conforming to standards. They had a boat fire there a while ago and there shore power cable policy is strictly enforced.
If all that seems too hard, I have a swing mooring at RMYS you could use for a month for a modest fee. Access is not as easy however!
Cheers,
Tom

ReplyQuote
(@rkooy)
Member Admin
Topic starter  
30. Nov 2015 at 15:59

Misty II   Offline
I'd rather be racing!
Williamstown Vic

Tom

Thanks for the kind offer.

IN the end I spoke with the Marina manager who was kind enough for a moderate price to make me up a nice 16mm mooring line for the springs (and fit it saving me the 1.5 km walk out to the marina.  (had my step counter on yesterday and ran up 16k steps going out there a couple of times)

I'm on the waiting list At Williamstown for a swing mooring here which would be useful for visitors as long as you can find a place for the tender.

Its interesting visiting different marinas and checking out the boats there - there seems to be 2 ss34s currently at RMYS  Andy's boat Mendana and Tramp that seems not to have been out for quite some time based on her weed growth.

I think I saw your boat without mast at Brighton a month or so back - are you back together?

The other advantage of a nice new modern marina is my need to lay out the sails to change sail numbers so I can finalise change of registration - much easier than when tied for and aft to poles

Paul

ReplyQuote
(@rkooy)
Member Admin
Topic starter  
06. Dec 2015 at 07:19

Boomaroo   Offline
Ocean Grove Victoria

Hi Paul,
All back in one piece now and sailing out of Queenscliff.
Lionheart and Crystal down here too.
Give me a shout if you are down this way.
Tom

ReplyQuote
(@rkooy)
Member Admin
Topic starter  
06. Dec 2015 at 19:05

YaBB Administrator   Offline
YaBB Administrator
I love YaBB!
The Land of YaBB

Hi Tom and Paul,

If you can get any details of current owners etc on any of the Victorian boats or put them in contact with me it would be much appreciated.  it is very hard to keep everything up to date, especially when boats are interstate.  I am always happy to update anyone's web page at any time, they don't need to be members.
Regards, Simon

ReplyQuote
Share: