0 Likes
(@rkooy)
Member Admin
Topic starter  
Melanie   Offline
YaBB Newbies
I'd rather be sailing!
Mackay, Queensland

For those of you with tiller steering, how is your mainsheet/traveller set up in relation to your tiller? I would like to change Lorelei's steering from wheel to tiller as part of the ongoing refit but at the moment the tiller would have a serious argument with the mainsheet traveller! (Ignore the mess in the cockpit in the photo - Lorelei has just come out of the shipyard!).

(@rkooy)
Member Admin
Topic starter  
Boomaroo   Offline
Ocean Grove Victoria

Hi Melanie,
Boomaroo had the wheel steering removed before I bought her and the mainsheet traveler was relocated forward (between the jib winches).
You can get an idea by looking at the pictures of Aquila.
This is just forward of the cockpit locker hatch.
Means you have to lift your feet to get into the companionway (doubled over if you have a dodger).
We have got used to it and it means the helm can look after the mainsheet.

The other option is to mount the traveler aft of the locker hatch (between the spinnaker winches). You can see this setup on many boats but particularly on Blondie.
How this works in practice I don't know but nearly all tiller S&S34's are set up this way.
Looks like it makes access to the aft seat/locker difficult but others could comment on that.

If you look at the original S&S drawing it shows the main sheet going back to that position.

Cheers,

Tom

ReplyQuote
(@rkooy)
Member Admin
Topic starter  
John McCormack   Offline
I'd rather be sailing!
Sydney

Morning Bird has the traveller aft as described. It is great for sailing but means the tiller can't be lifted up out of the way to free up the cockpit. The sailing benefits far outweigh the minor inconvenience. Single handing is very easy.

ReplyQuote
(@rkooy)
Member Admin
Topic starter  
Melanie   Offline
YaBB Newbies
I'd rather be sailing!
Mackay, Queensland

Interesting, thanks Tom and John! I noticed Ella's Pink Lady had another option with a 'floating' dyneema traveller which sat above the tiller. Must have been effective, but I wondered how it might effect sail trim.

ReplyQuote
(@rkooy)
Member Admin
Topic starter  
Boomaroo   Offline
Ocean Grove Victoria

I know of two types of this method of main sheet control.
Either way, I have only seen them on 'round the world' boats.

Looking at the pictures available to me of Pink Lady I can't tell which it might be.

The attached picture shows Tania Aebi in 1987 just before completing her circumnavigation in 'Veruna', her Contessa 26.
The main sheet has a single line with one cam cleat.

The other type with which I am familiar has two tackles running down to either side of the boat and controlled separately. Can be handy for jibing in boisterous conditions.

I wonder if the windward lines might be get in the way when sailing free?

Regarding sail trim, I guess the topping lift could be used to take some pressure off. I use that method on a light day when I want a bit more shape in the main sail.

Cheers,

Tom

ReplyQuote
(@rkooy)
Member Admin
Topic starter  
YaBB Administrator   Offline
YaBB Administrator
I love YaBB!
The Land of YaBB

Dear Melanie,

The correct position for an aft mounted traveller is either between or just in front of the spinnaker winches.  You can either bolt direct on to the seats or between/on top of the coaming.  If you mount on the seats between the winches is better as too far forward will make it hard to lift the tiller (as yours is). If you don't mount on the seats there is a longer unsupported span and you will need a box section beam (Ronstan make a suitable one) If you mount on top of the coaming (Constellation has this) you will need to cut back the end of the section and using a suitable wedge to get the angle bolt it to the top of the coaming.  This does give a bit of extra travel compared to between the winches. Make sure it is properly  mounted and backed up as there is a fair bit of load on those 2 points.  Blondie has it mounted between the winches using cast alloy brackets bolted onto the side of the coaming (supplied by Swarbricks), this gives less travel but also less interference with lifting the tiller. Personally I think it is a bit better.  There is no issue with locker access etc as it is all well away from them.  You can then either have a direct mainsheet control (we have a Ronstan 4:1/8:1 coarse/fine) or lead the sheet along the boom and back to a cabin top winch German style (Huckleberry has this).  A plain 6:1 triple block arrangement can be used but needs a fair bit of muscle power to operate in a good breeze, at least with the larger Mk2 mainsails.
Regards, Simon

ReplyQuote
(@rkooy)
Member Admin
Topic starter  
Melanie   Offline
YaBB Newbies
I'd rather be sailing!
Mackay, Queensland

Thanks for all the info Simon, very useful!

ReplyQuote
(@rkooy)
Member Admin
Topic starter  
Misty II   Offline
I'd rather be racing!
Williamstown Vic

We've been meaning to go from wheel to tiller steering on Misty II but a couple of things including a heart attack for me has put us back a bit.

Our setup is like yours and was to have the traveller going over the top of the rudder post with a swivel joint in the tiller to enable it to fold up vertical to keep it out of the way when not in use.

The other alternative is to have a mid boom traveller and free up your cockpit

The difficulty you will find is getting a fitting for the rudder post.  My attempts with the manufacturer in WA were a waste of time and it looks like I may have to cast or machine one.  a Carbon and kevlar mould actually looks the quickest and easiest but im unsure whether this is the right use for exotic materials.

ReplyQuote
(@rkooy)
Member Admin
Topic starter  
Boomaroo   Offline
Ocean Grove Victoria

For the tiller fitting, try Phil George at Fleming.
0433 982 368
flemingmarine@gmail.com

ReplyQuote
Share: