1 Users
0 Likes
(@rkooy)
Member Admin
Topic starter  
Misty II   Offline
I'd rather be racing!
Williamstown Vic

Misty is currently languishing until I can get a new engine into her as we've moved from Williamstown and are now on the other side of the Bay.

Pretty much any engine options comes with a 5 figure price tag in Australia and so I started looking at the prospects of importing a diesel from China and seeing if I can do better.

China has a huge fishing fleet and a conservative slow running diesel ought to be perfect.  A search on alibaba came up with a few candidates and while they were 100kg heavier than modern diesels they were still 100kg lighter than my old Volvo MD2b

Pricing was difficult but about high 2000 (US) plus about $100 (US) to put them on a slow boat to Melbourne (8weeks delay)

Then I got a response from a singapore based company  - check out http://singasengine.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=60_61&product_id=67

I'm pretty impressed at what 3k US will buy in singapore and disgusted at the rip off the Australian suppliers are putting on a 200% markup.

Now there is some import duty and possibly GST and insurance and broker cost but nothing to justify a $10k price

I will be looking very closely at these costs and hopefully we will go for a yanmar 29hp -  will keep you updated on what total cost adds up to.

(@rkooy)
Member Admin
Topic starter  
Joe Mangold   Offline
YaBB Newbies
C'est Bon
Perth

That sensational paul - i have heard previously that you can get your hand on a really cheap engine in singapore or hong kong but i never seen evidence of it.
To bad i sorted myself with a second hand Yanmar 2gm to replace my md2 already, its going in this week - but let us know how your go !

ReplyQuote
(@rkooy)
Member Admin
Topic starter  
Misty II   Offline
I'd rather be racing!
Williamstown Vic

Joe

I've put a toe in the water - I have decided to convert to a sail drive and I have today sent off $1200 USD (1650 AUD) for a Yanmar SD25 sail drive unit.  Im using another Jakarta based supplier that is a freight forwarder registered with Alibaba
  Total price for the yanmar 29hp plus saildrive is $4100 USD. 

I felt that if this all goes to hell with the importing then I can afford to lose $1200 -  4k would really hurt.  SO if they deliver as promised I will spend the rest and get the yanmar pictured above.

The saildrive is coming with the engine bed to be glassed in so this needs to be done first any how

Paul

ReplyQuote
Share: